Full-time; Northern Ireland
HighRoads is the industry leader in sales-enabling health plan product management. Our cloud-based technology empowers our health plan clients to quickly configure and sell innovative compliant products that meet customer needs and differentiate them from the competition.
HighRoads NI was established in 2019 as an Engineering Centre of Excellence and has supported the company’s rapid growth. In 2021, HighRoads NI was recognized by Digital DNA with the Company of the Year Award. This award celebrates the success, resilience, creativity, and innovation in the tech industry in NI. The winner is determined through a combination of panelist judges and the public vote!
At HighRoads, cloud computing continues to allow us to modernize and consolidate IT infrastructure, automate workloads, and pursue next-generation innovation. To continue this transformation, we’re seeking an experienced Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud engineer with expertise in the strategy, design, development, and implementation of large-scale projects in the cloud. The ideal candidate is experienced in cloud-based tech, with a firm grasp of emerging technologies, platforms, and applications, and ability to customize them to help our business become more secure and efficient. Extensive knowledge of cloud maintenance, and advanced industry knowledge is key to keeping us on the cutting edge. From day one, you’ll have an immediate impact on the day-to-day efficiency of our IT operations, and an ongoing impact on our overall growth.
Objectives of this Role
- Work in tandem with our engineering team to identify and implement the most optimal cloud-based solutions for the company.
- Define and document best practices and strategies regarding application deployment and infrastructure maintenance.
- Provide guidance, thought leadership, and mentorship to development teams to build cloud competencies.
- Ensure application performance, uptime, and scale, maintaining high standards of code quality and thoughtful design.
- Managing cloud environments in accordance with company security guidelines.
- Work with agile development methodologies, adhering to best practices and pursuing continued learning opportunities.
Specifically, the Cloud Engineer will be expected to:
- Develop and implement technical efforts to design, build, and deploy AWS applications at the direction of lead architects.
- Participate in all aspects of the software development life cycle for AWS solutions, including planning, requirements, development, testing, and quality assurance.
- Troubleshoot incidents, identify root cause, fix, and document problems, and implement preventive measures.
- Educate teams on the implementation of new cloud-based initiatives, providing associated training as required.
- Employ exceptional problem-solving skills, with the ability to see and solve issues before they affect business productivity.
- Participate in the evaluation of open-source and commercial tools/frameworks.
- Collaborate across time zones via Slack, GitHub comments, documents, and frequent video conferences.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, IT, or Engineering (or equivalent field) or equivalent work experience
- 1+ years of experience building large-scale software applications
- 3+ years’ experience architecting, designing, developing, and implementing cloud solutions
- Experience with AWS platforms
- Knowledge of build pipelines using Jenkins
- Understanding of SQL & NoSQL solutions
- Excellent debugging and optimization skills
- Understanding of and experience with the pillars of well-architected frameworks
- Experience in several of the following areas: database architecture, ETL, business intelligence, big data, machine learning, advanced analytics
- Proven ability to collaborative with multi-disciplinary teams of business analysts, developers, data scientists, and subject matter experts
- AWS Certifications
- Knowledge in Container Technologies (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes etc.)
- Knowledge of web services, API, REST, and RPC
Ideal Personal Characteristics
- Software Engineering Guru. Great technical acumen with strong academic credentials.
- Technical Enthusiast. Someone who endeavors to learn new skills and challenges his/her limitations.
- A Focus on Execution. A self-starter with a bias for action. A non-political team player who can quickly establish himself/herself as a trusted member of the team and can be relied upon to get things done.
- Company Focused. Someone who identifies closely with and is committed to the achievement of the Company’s mission while working in concert with other groups internally and externally.
- Nimble in the Face of Ambiguity and Adversity. Grounded/pragmatic; someone who naturally adjusts to changing internal/external dynamics, priorities and challenges. Decisive optimist / “can-do” attitude; values people and focuses on “doing the right thing”.
- Energetic and Optimistic. HighRoads is a dynamic, innovative company with a “can-do” culture. It wants team members who continue to build on this culture.
- “Equity” Mindset. The successful candidate will have a proven ability to pursue his/her objectives passionately with an ownership mentality and a focus on the overall success of the Company.
- Maturity and Independence. A highly ethical and intelligent professional who effectively represents the company and its mission internally and externally and who brings enhanced credibility to the firm and its products. A thoroughly honest and forthright individual who is up-front and direct with subordinates, peers and top management executives.
Hiring in Belfast, Northern Ireland
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Ready to Apply? Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Power Your Business with HighRoads
We’ve eased the path to market with advanced product solutions that drive revenue, efficiency, and market distinction.